April 9, 2008
March 5, 2008
Threw in a section about the Liberation fonts in the tweak guide. I fell in love with those. They’re really great on a small screen, because they’re really identifiable at small sizes.
March 2, 2008
Please vote for my idea. I wish for an applet that handles window managers, and sorts out compositing issues.
Vote also that Vinagre should have a desktop shrinking option. I don’t want scrollbars when I manage a computer remotely.
February 14, 2008
This is a little late, but I figured I should blog about Project: 3rd party screenlets. It is hosted on Launchpad. The team is also on Launchpad. The idea is to collect all those 3rd party screenlets that are on Gnome-look.org and not in the official Screenlets trunk.
In doing so, we can achieve several important things:
For the users:
- One place to get all individual screenlets
- Follow updates easily with bzr
- Get a package with all screenlets available — probably even a package and a repo for Fedora, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, etc.
For the developers:
- Easy maintenance of their screenlets
- Keeping close to official Screenlets
- Get input and fixes from other developers, because they can access bzr themselves, and not just post a comment
- Maybe translations down the road
- More users!
- Getting individual screenlets included in the official Screenlets
- Get bug reports
There are probably more upsides for all, but this was my first ideas.
Now, to get the show on the road, we need:
- Developers to register for a Launchpad account
- Apply for the team
- Set up their own project with their screenlets
- Starting using bzr. Short howto and a guide
- Developing screenlets
- Merging with 3rd-party-screenlets branch
This post is tagged Compiz and Compiz Fusion for the likely interest people have in both projects, not because CF is necessary for Screenlets. Because it isn’t anymore 🙂
February 9, 2008
I’m having some problems with the WindowlistScreenlet. That spurred me to think about how a dreamy windowlist/taskbar screenlet would be. With AWN’s new launcher-only functionality, I really need a great taskbar. So, here’s my points. Please add yours.
- Picks up all applications open that would ordinary be on a taskbar
- Use the highest quality icons available, maybe make icons for known bad ones
- Let the taskbar be placed on a horizontal line, vertical line, curve, in a rectangular box (any proportions given)
- A set maximum size for the windowlist (or -box). If too many icons are kept there, they should be shrinked
- Minimize, maximize, restore works as they should
- Minimized/maximized apps should draw the Compiz Fusion animations properly to/from the icons where they belong (I know AWN sometimes interfer, but I don’t know why)
- Grouping of apps
Maybe someone can use this as a start? It’s in C and Python.