This is a little late, but I figured I should blog about Project: 3rd party screenlets. It is hosted on Launchpad. The team is also on Launchpad. The idea is to collect all those 3rd party screenlets that are on Gnome-look.org and not in the official Screenlets trunk.
In doing so, we can achieve several important things:
For the users:
- One place to get all individual screenlets
- Follow updates easily with bzr
- Get a package with all screenlets available — probably even a package and a repo for Fedora, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, etc.
For the developers:
- Easy maintenance of their screenlets
- Keeping close to official Screenlets
- Get input and fixes from other developers, because they can access bzr themselves, and not just post a comment
- Maybe translations down the road
- More users!
- Getting individual screenlets included in the official Screenlets
- Get bug reports
There are probably more upsides for all, but this was my first ideas.
Now, to get the show on the road, we need:
- Developers to register for a Launchpad account
- Apply for the team
- Set up their own project with their screenlets
- Starting using bzr. Short howto and a guide
- Developing screenlets
- Merging with 3rd-party-screenlets branch
This post is tagged Compiz and Compiz Fusion for the likely interest people have in both projects, not because CF is necessary for Screenlets. Because it isn’t anymore 🙂