I’m thinking of getting a web space and fill it with pictures, both keep an online backup of stuff, and to be able to show family and friends photos by having them log in to a web album.
As of now, I have only ~8 GB of photos, but we all now that will increase rather fast as time goes.
- Free, as in no cost, and free as in open source. As an absolute last resort, I’ll consider settling for paid software, provided terms are OK.
- Needs to handle date and time well, otherwise defeating the whole point of having an album
- Easy setup and maintenance for me, preferably a web UI for administration purposes. Being able to upload zips (or similar) would be great
- Ease of use for visitors, a sane UI, thumbnailing. Them being able to download zips of photos is a huge plus.
- Visitors need to log in to see the albums, and I should be able to set permissions per album. Securing my content is important to me. I want to have complete control of my data.
- Needs to support common server setups (like Apache, PHP, MySQL), so I can more freely pick a service provider
- Needs to run both locally on my computer, and online (so I can synchronize the local computer with the online stuff, and personally browse albums locally, saving time and bandwidth)
- Some eye candy, ajaxy stuff would of course be great, but is not an absolute requirement.
- Since I don’t know much about this, this list should likely be longer
Does anyone know of anything that works good?